Save the Children, an international non-governmental organization that promotes children’s rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries, came under attack on Wednesday in Afghanistan.
According to the officials in Afghanistan, three people have been killed after Save the Children’s Afghan office came under car bomb and gun attack.
Two security officials and a civilian were killed and around 25 others were wounded after a terrorist detonated a car bomb outside the organization’s Jalalabad office.
ISIS, an infamous terrorist group based in Iraq and Syria, has claimed the responsibility of the attack in Save the Children’s Jalalabad office.
The terrorist group has claimed the responsibility of the attack on its Amaq website describing it as an attack against “British and Swedish Institutes.”
I strongly condemn today's terrorist attack on Save the Children in Jalalabad. This shows that terrorists have no respect for human lives & commit warcrime by targeting civilians & NGOs that are working to save human lives and secure a bright future for children in Afghanistan.
— Dr. Abdullah (@afgexecutive) January 24, 2018
The officials of Save the Children had been trapped inside the office for more than 8 hours as the Afghan security forces battled the terrorist and rescued the trapped officials.
According to the Afghan Pajhwok Afghan News, two of the terrorists have been killed in the fight between the Afghan security forces and ISIS.
— ICRC (@ICRC) January 24, 2018
Save the Children, in response to the heinous attack, has canceled its operations in Afghanistan until it feels the environment is safe enough to resume work.
According to a Save the Children statement, three of its staff members have been killed. “Save the Children condemns this attack in the strongest possible terms,” it said.
It is with profound sadness that we can confirm three Save the Children staff members were killed earlier today in an attack on our office in #Jalalabad, #Afghanistan. Our statement: https://t.co/juSPz9enud pic.twitter.com/yRlDe5crVc
— Save the Children US (@SavetheChildren) January 24, 2018
“We are shocked and appalled at the violence, carried out against our staff in Afghanistan who are dedicated humanitarians, committed to improving the lives and wellbeing of millions of children across the country,” Save the Children said.
Condemning the ‘outrageous’ attack, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)’s Monica Zanarelli said, “Increased violence has made operating in Afghanistan difficult for many organizations.”
— UNICEF (@UNICEF) January 24, 2018
“The ICRC … will continue focusing on our dialogue with arm carriers – both the Afghan National Security Forces and the armed opposition – to discuss the principles of International Humanitarian Law and the respect for civilians and medical missions,” Monica Zanarelli added.