North Korea said Pyongyang still hopes to hold a summit with the U.S. President and regrets the ‘unexpected’ U.S. decision.
North Korean state news agency KCNA shared a statement by Vice-Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan claiming that the North Korean regime held President Trump’s efforts in ‘high regards’.
Vice-Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said: “We tell the United States once more that we are open to resolving problems at any time in any way.”
The U.S. President Donald Trump canceled the Singapore summit with Kim Jong-un alleging Pyongyang of ‘open hostility’.
President Trump, in an open letter to Kim Jong-un, said: “Based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.”
Following the U.S. decision, Vice-Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said “the historic summit is now high on the agenda… amid the remarkably great concern of the world.”
I have decided to terminate the planned Summit in Singapore on June 12th. While many things can happen and a great opportunity lies ahead potentially, I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and indeed a setback for the world… pic.twitter.com/jT0GfxT0Lc
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 24, 2018
The KCNA statement said that “the sincere pursuit and active efforts made by the DPRK to end the relations of hostility and distrust” have earned the DPRK “sympathy and support from the public at home and abroad.”
The North Korean Vice-Foreign Minister regretted the U.S. move to cancel the Singapore summit “that had already been made a fait accompli.”
Kim Kye Gwan added: “As far as the historic DPRK-U.S. summit is concerned, we have inwardly highly appreciated President Trump for having made the bold decision, which any other U.S. presidents dared not, and made efforts for such a crucial event as the summit.”
“His sudden and unilateral announcement to cancel the summit is something unexpected to us and we cannot but feel great regret for it,” Kye Gwan added.
Mr. Gwan said the U.S. side’s unilateral announcement of the cancellation of the summit “makes us think over if we were truly right to have made efforts for it and to have opted for the new path.
“But we remain unchanged in our goal and will to do everything we could for peace and stability of the Korean peninsula and humankind, and we, broad-minded and open all the time, have the willingness to offer the U.S. side time and opportunity.”
"We're talking to them now. It was a very nice statement they put out. We'll see what happens," President Trump says of North Korea after cancelling summit. "It could even be the 12th." pic.twitter.com/NQZ7LhiSc7
— NBC News (@NBCNews) May 25, 2018
The North Korean Vice-Foreign Minister said that Pyongyang is ready a talk with the U.S. at ‘any time’.
“We would like to make known to the U.S. side once again that we have the intent to sit with the U.S. side to solve the problem regardless of ways at any time,” Kye Gwan added.